Photography and Old Files

(C) 2023, Allen Pearson Photography
"Switching at Powell Yard, Manassas, VA"
(C) 2023, Allen Pearson Photography

I enjoy reading Brian Solomon's blog, Tracking the Light. I subscribed to his blog since he is one of my favorite railroad writers and photographers. The insight about railroading and photography helps me to learn how to be a better one myself. As they say, if you want to be better at something, read, read, read, and especially read from the writings of those whose work you enjoy.

A tip Brian shared in a post quite a while ago now was about going through old images you may still have on file. If you have forgotten to go through some files of photos, someday when you have time go back through them. You might be surprised at how good an image actually is.

An important point he made was not to delete images when you in the field shooting. Wait until you get to your laptop or desktop to delete any files. Why? Viewing them on your camera after taking them doesn't really provide a good view of what you have taken. The view on the larger screen device will allow a view of the "overall" picture.

Another aspect of Brian's blog I enjoy is getting ideas for photographing trains. What's good. What's not. As they say, it's good to learn from others.

I have taken his advice and begun going back over files I've created since around 2016 when I got into railroad photography or railfanning. I found a few images that I missed sharing over the years. Also, I was quite surprised to find some of the images are pretty good. 

I plan to share these images on this blog. I hope you enjoy. Please feel free to comment. Also, please be patient with me, I am new to the hobby and understand there are a lot of details to learn.  


Comments