Welcome to The Railfanning Dog! Photography and Videos of Railroading

 

(C) 2022, Allen Pearson Photography
"Norfolk Southern Locomotive 8862 at Belvoir, VA"
(C) 2022, Allen Pearson Photography

Welcome to our railfanning website. 

Back around fifty years ago, I was a young boy of about 7 years old, probably younger than that, but we'll go with that for now. I remember visiting my grandmother in the small town of Marmet, WV. It was a great treat to sit on the front porch of her house and watch the trains go by. Two railroad tracks of the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway went right through the town. 

At the same time, I was growing up in the southern town of Manassas, Virginia. At the time, it was a very small town with a significant number of trains going through it daily. Southern Railway was the railroad of the day with Norfolk Southern later being the railroad. I was too young to drive but I remember seeing the trains on the way to and from school as well as when my father took me downtown to see them. 

Of course, things change some when you grow up. I remember going off to college, then moving to my own place, starting a career, getting married, and going through life without trains. I seem to have let them to the wayside. Though I remember a few times when a train would go by and it'd grab my attention. 

When I retired, I moved back to the Manassas area where the sounds of train horns in the distance got my attention. This time, I don't plan to let go as easily. 

I wish I knew what it is that draws me trackside to what these huge trains roll by. Whatever the draw is, I still have it. 

I plan to share my photography and videos as blog posts. I hope you enjoy. 

Comments